National Safety Month: Eliminate Hidden Dangers in Your Home

June 06, 2018

Is your home safe and secure?  You may be surprised to discover how many dangers are present in your home that you’re not even aware of!  Don’t turn a blind eye to these hidden house threats.  Here is what you should be cautious about in your home and how we suggest remedying the problem!


Everyone knows that mold is unpleasant.  It’s unsightly, it smells, and it can spread if it’s not taken care of.  But did you know it can damage your health? As listed by the Centers for Disease Control, some of the reactions mold can cause are nasal problems, throat irritation, coughing and wheezing, eye irritation, and in some cases, skin irritation.  Even worse?  Mold related health issues can compound with other health problems.  Chronic lung issues and people who suffer from auto-immune disorders are most at risk.  Exposure can lead to serious lung infections that are sometimes fatal.

Children are also incredibly susceptible to mold.  While their bodies are developing, extended exposure to mold can cause respiratory problems and trigger asthma attacks.

Mold is fueled by moisture, so it’s important to keep a close eye on the inside and outside of your home.  If you spot a leak in your home, get it repaired immediately.  Contract someone to remove, replace, or fix anything in your house that has mold on it, or is assisting its growth.  If you want to take an extra step you can water detectors in your home that can alert you early on if a leak or pipe is in your home.  It won’t stop the damage entirely, but catching the problem early on severely limits the damage.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide a highly poisonous gas, which is both invisible and has no scent.  It is most commonly experienced in a home due to malfunctioning or inappropriately used heating, cooking, or ventilation.  The good news is that it is easily preventable and easily detected with a carbon monoxide detector.  The bad news is that many families never install such a device in their home.  It is absolutely essential to have one in your home.  Without something to alert you to its presence, by the time you feel the symptoms it could already be too late.


Exposure to this highly toxic metal can have severe consequences.  It can cause health issues that cause nerve disorders, and even damage mental development. We don’t expect you and your family to just drag lead into your home, but what if it’s already there?  If you live in an older home, lead based paint may have been used on walls, floors, or ceilings. It’s even possible that the plumbing in your home has lead pipes, which is infecting your drinking water. 

In 1978 regulatory standards minimized and perhaps even eliminated lead usage in homes being built, but what if your home is older? Don’t gamble with your health here. Hire an inspector to thoroughly check your home for any lead sources and if any are found have them eliminated them immediately.  

Pesticides and Toxins

In 2016, over two million poison exposures were reported to U.S. Poison Control Centers. Most reported poisonings occur from common household items such as medication, pesticides, and cleaning substances. The best defense here is simply boils down to storing products safely and educating yourself on the materials you introduce into your home. If you have children or pets, always keep pesticides in locations inaccessible to them, and place a childproof lock device on whatever you are storing them in. Wash your hands after handling any material that could be toxic, and keep your hands away from your face when working with toxic materials.


Keeping a healthy and safe home might be trickier than you think, but with a little preparation and knowledge, you can prevent hidden dangers from harming your family.

Schedule a free home security consultation

Get security tips automatically